Associate Professor of English and World Languages & Cultures
Office: Bliss Building 218
Phone: (609) 771-2468
- All Mandarin Chinese courses from the first- to fourth-year level
- CHI 348 New Chinese Cinema: Gender, National Identity and Post-Socialist Ideology
- CHI 370 Contemporary Chinese Feminist Literature
- CHI 371 Study on Gao Xingjian’s plays and novels
- CHI 391 Modern and contemporary Chinese Poetry
- WLC 371 Asian Cinema in Global Context: Martial Arts/Kung Fu, Anime and Bollywood
- FSP 104 Rock ‘N’ Roll in Post-Mao China
- FSP 104 Global Ecocinema and Ethics of Environmentalism
- FSP 104 Vietnam War and Hollywood Cinema
- FSP-101 Man, Machine and Cyborg: Understanding Technoculture
- LIT 394/CMP 370 Zen and the Beat Writers
- LIT 394/CMP 370 Posthuman Subjectivity: Critical Issues in Cyberpunk Literature
- LIT 217 Multicultural LIT Diaspora and Transmigration in Asian American Literature
- LIT 670 Diaspora and Transmigration: Critical Issues in Asian American Literature
- LIT 345 Orientalism and Western Imagination.
- LIT 345 Virtual Tibet: Cool Spirituality in an Age of Popular Culture
- LIT 218: Literature of the Quest: Journey, Initiation and Identity Politics
- Literature and Chinese Modernity
- East-West Comparative Poetics
- New Chinese/Asian Cinema— Visual Culture
- Contemporary Chinese Popular Culture
- Globalization and Diaspora Culture
- Asian American Literature
- Critical Theory
- 20th Century World Modernism and Post-Modernism
- B.A. English Language and Literature, Sichuan International Studies University, Chongqing, PRC, 1985
- M. A. Chinese and Comparative Literature, Peking University, PRC, 1991
- Ph. D. English Literature and Cultural Study, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1996
- Ph. D. Comparative Literature, Film Studies and Visual Culture, University of California, Davis, 2002
SELECTED ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
Selected Publications in English:
- Chinese Ecocinema in the Age of Environmental Challenge (Co-editor with Sheldon Lu). Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2009.
- Self-fashioning and Reflexive Modernity in Modern Chinese Poetry, 1919-1949. New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2004.
- “Consuming Tibet: Imperial Romance and the Wretched of Holy Plateau” (co-authored with Jason C. Toncic). Buddhism and American Cinema. Eds. Gary Storhoff and John Whalen-Bridge. Albany/New York: State University of New York, 2014.
- “Remapping the Roots: Specular Routes and Spectral Homescape.” Writing Spaces: Travel, Global Cities and Landscape. Eds. Wang Yi-Chun and Jonathan White. Taipei: National Sun Yat-sen University, 2013.
- “Framing Ambient Umheimlich: Ecoggedon, Ecological Unconscious and Water Pathology in New Chinese Cinema.” Chinese Ecocinema in the Age of Environmental Challenge (Co-editor with Sheldon Lu). Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2009.
- “Entropic Anxiety and the Allegory of Disappearance: Hydro-Utopianism in Zheng Yi’s Old Well and Zhang Wei’s Old Boat.” China Information. 21 No. 1 (March 2007): 109-140.
- “Poetics of Navigation: River Lyricism, Epic Consciousness and Post-Mao Sublime Poemscape.” Modern Chinese Literature and Culture.19. 1(Spring 2007):91-137.
- “The Visual Imagined Communities: Media State, Virtual Citizenship and TELEvision in River Elegy.” The Quarterly Review of Film and Video 22.4 (October-December 2005): 327-340.
- “The Fantastic/Exotic Uncanny: Kafka’s and Borges’s Labyrinthine Narrative of China.” Tamkang Review XXXVI No. 3 (Spring 2006): 105-136.
Selected Publications in Chinese:
- Poetry Across Oceans: An Anthology of Chinese American Diaspora Poetry/《四海为诗：旅美华人离散诗歌精选》. Taiyuan: Beiyuewenyi Chubanshe, 2014 (editor).
- “Poetics of Navigation: River Lyricism, Epic Consciousness and Post-Mao Sublime Poemscape.” JiangHan Review 35 (October 2014): 51-59.
- “Fantasmatic Voyage: Elizabeth Bishop’s Hodoeporics of Seascape.” Foreign Literatures 132 (December 2013): 112-121.
- “Anti-line Drives: Orality, Vocality and Embodiment in Huang Xiang’s Poetry.” Journal of Taiwan Poetics 21 (May 2013): 125-148.
- “颓败的田园梦: 论李金发的乐园图景与残酷的心理幻象” (Ruined Paradise: Utopian Vision and Cruel Disillusionment in Li Jinfa’s Poetry). Poetry Weekly 59 (June 2013): 70-81.
- “Framing Ambient Umheimlich: Ecoggedon, Ecological Unconscious and Water Pathology in New Chinese Cinema.” Yangtze River Review, 5 (December 2010): 79-89.
Work in Progress:
- Heteroscape: Topography and Poetics of Navigation in Modern Chinese Literature, Art and Film (Under contract with Brill)