The National Collegiate Chinese Honor Society, sponsored by the Chinese Language Teachers Association, USA (CLTA), is founded to recognize outstanding academic achievement of college students in learning Chinese as a second language, to encourage them to continue to study Chinese after they graduate from college, and to promote the study of Chinese language, literature, and culture in the United States.
To be inducted into the National Collegiate Chinese Honor Society and receive its certificate, students must meet the following qualifications.
Qualifications for four-year college students:
- Must be a full-time student who has successfully completed five semesters or eight quarters of Chinese language courses at the college undergraduate level or have been placed in the third year Chinese after the placement test.
- Must have enrolled in the sixth semester or the ninth quarter of the Chinese course
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4-point scale in Chinese language courses and have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale for all college level courses taken
- Must demonstrate strong evidence of engagement and commitment to Chinese language and culture related in school or community activities.
- Must preserve an excellent record of behavior in and out of school.
Students who have met the qualifications specified in Section II must be invited to apply by the faculty member in charge. The faculty member in charge must get the necessary information from each of the candidates if the invitation is accepted and fill in the required information for each candidate online.
The deadline for submitting the application form to the CLTA Honor Society Committee is March 1 each year. The completed application should be submitted electronically as indicated by the faculty in charge of this chapter. The faculty member in charge should also collect $20 USD per candidate for the membership and the cost for certificate shipping and handling and make an online payment after submitting the application form at the CLTA website.