Requirements for the Spanish Major
A total of 12 course units is the minimum requirement for the Spanish major.
Students are strongly encouraged to study in a Spanish-speaking country for at least one semester.
Program Entrance, Retention, and Exit Standards:
Every major program at the College has set standards for allowing students to remain in that program, to transfer within the College from one program to another, and to graduate from a program. The following are the standards for Spanish programs:
- Entrance into the major is based on the following performance standards in this foundational course. Minimum grades are noted in parentheses:
SPA 211/Intermediate Writing Proficiency (B-).
- Retention in the program is based on the following performance standards in these “critical content courses.” Minimum grades are noted in parentheses:
SPA 211/Intermediate Writing Proficiency (B-); SPA 215/Spanish Phonetics (B-) and SPA 241/Introduction to Literature in Spanish (B-).
- Transfer into the program from another program within the College is based on the following performance standards in these foundational courses. Minimum grades are noted in parentheses:
SPA 211 Intermediate Writing Proficiency (B-) and SPA 215/Spanish Phonetics (B-)
- These minimum grades must be achieved in order to advance to higher level courses.
- Graduation requires a GPA of 2.0 in courses for the program and earning a minimum grade of C- in all Spanish courses.
The department offers six tracks within the Spanish major (see Undergraduate Bulletin):
- Spanish: Liberal Arts
- Spanish: Early Childhood Education
- Spanish: Elementary Education
- Spanish: Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Spanish: Special Education
- Spanish: Urban Education
Requirements for the Minor:
The minor consists of five course units, of which at least three must be taken at The College of New Jersey. A minimum grade of C is required in all courses taken to fulfill the minor requirements.
The following courses are required:
Spanish: Three courses at the 200 level and two courses at the 300 level